Click here for the updated visitation protocol for SBELIH: COVID-19 Protocol - Visitation Protocol
Stony Brook Eastern Long Island Hospital (SBELIH) welcomes visitors to our hospital. To ensure the safety of our patients, staff and visitors, we do the following:
• All visitors to Stony Brook Eastern Long Island Hospital will be required to show photo identification. Acceptable forms of photo identification include a driver’s license, passport, green card, government-issued ID and U.S. military ID.
• Each patient is allowed to have two visitors at any time during visitation hours as listed below. Visitors will be allowed to switch throughout the day.
• Visitors must be over the age of 18 years old.
• Visitors will must remain in the patient’s room throughout the visit except when advised to leave by hospital staff.
• If in a semi-private room with 2 patients, only 1 visitor per patient at a time is allowed
• Visitors will not have access to hospital pantries.
• Visitors will not be permitted to use patient bathrooms.
• Written information of potential risks and benefits of a visit as well as appropriate PPE and hand hygiene will be provided to all visitors.
• Visitor must practice hand hygiene and wash and sanitize hands.
• Patients undergoing same day procedures may be accompanied to the facility by a companion and that companion may remain in the designated waiting area until the patient is discharged.
• All visitation may be further restricted by any of the following: clinical condition/status at the time of visit, high risk of transmission to others, guidelines issued by a regulatory agency or assessment from medical team.
Additional Visitor Guidelines:
• Behavioral Health: For visitors to any behavioral health unit, patient will identify a visitor and a release will be obtained prior to visit. Only 1 visitor per patient on the unit at any given time.
• 2 North and ICU: General Visits for the medical/surgical unit and ICU/CCU (2 North and ICU) are from 1:00pm – 8:00pm. Visitor for 2 North and ICU patients must remain in the patient room at all times.
• Psych: Psychiatry unit visits will be scheduled prior to visit and reserved for one hour each day from 2:00pm-3:00pm. Visitor for psychiatry patients must remain in the designated visitation area at all times.
• Quannacut Rehab: Addiction Rehab unit (Quannacut Rehab) visits will be scheduled prior to visit and reserved for Sundays from 11:00am – 12:00pm and 2:00pm – 3:00pm and Tuesday’s and Thursday’s from 1:00pm – 2:00pm. Visitor for Quannacut must remain in the designated visitation area at all times.
• Detox: No visitation, except in special circumstances.
• Emergency Department: One visitor per patient in the Emergency Department at the discretion of the Supervisor and ED. ED visitors (only1 per patient and maintaining social distancing) can use the ED waiting room.
Visitation Protocol :
• Patients with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities
• Patients with cognitive impairments, including dementia, that are deemed medically necessary
• Patient in imminent end-of-life situations or who need compassionate care
• Patients who are COVID positive will be allowed one visitor per day.
All visitors are encouraged but no longer required to wear a well-fitting mask throughout SBELIH.
When visiting patients, visitors are allowed to bring items, such as Mylar balloons (we do not allow latex balloons) or floral arrangements (we do not allow potted plants). In most areas of the hospital, these items are permissible with the exception of our intensive care unit (ICU) and/or if the patient has a restriction based on their treatment or diagnosis. Before the visit, it is best for visitors to check with unit staff to ensure the patient is permitted to have items brought to their room.
Thank you for your support in helping us to provide a safe and healing environment for everyone.